What happens during the 2 stages of a Divorce?
- In Stage 1 (Divorce Proceedings), the parties will present documents, information and evidence to the Court to show that a Divorce should be granted (e.g. proving the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage through adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion or separation)
- In Stage 2 (Ancillary Proceedings), the parties will present documents, information and evidence to the Court to deal with all other key issues resulting from the Divorce (also known as Ancillary Matters):
- Maintenance of the wife and children (e.g. financial support)
- Custody, care and control of as well as access (e.g. visitation rights) to the children
- Division of the matrimonial assets (e.g. matrimonial home)