What is a Divorce?
- Divorce is the process through which a registered marriage is officially terminated. A key significance of this event is that parties to a marriage can only remarry after they have obtained the Final Judgment which is issued by the Court when a Divorce is concluded.
- A marriage which is ended through a Divorce is different from that which is ended through an annulment.
- This is because a marriage which is ended through a Divorce is recognised as a marriage which was properly registered earlier but which has now been ended. On the other hand, a marriage which is ended through an annulment is regarded as having been improperly registered earlier, for example, because it was entered into under illegitimate and unlawful circumstances such as through an act of fraud or coercion.
- If your marriage involved non-Muslim parties or you and your spouse were married under Civil Law, Divorce proceedings will be conducted in the Family Justice Courts.
- If your marriage involved Muslim parties or you and your spouse were married under Muslim Law or Syariah Law, Divorce proceedings will be conducted in the Syariah Court.