How will the Court divide your matrimonial assets?
- The Court can order the division of any matrimonial asset.
- The Court will divide your matrimonial assets based according to an apportionment that is just and fair by giving adequate and appropriate weight to you and your spouse’s direct and indirect contribution towards the marriage.
- Direct contributions include financial contributions made towards the acquisition or improvement of the matrimonial assets.
- Indirect contributions include efforts to improve or maintain the well-being of the family
- You and your spouse’s respective roles (e.g. financial-provider or homemaker) will be equally recognised because the Court will take the view that both roles must have been performed equally for the marriage to continue or thrive before the breakdown of the relationship.